Security men among 12 dead in clashes
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least sex Afghan security personnel and as many militants have been killed during a clash in the Imam Sahib district of northern Kunduz province, an official said on Thursday.
Hundreds of militants launched attacks on security posts in the Kalbad area of the district late on Wednesday. Six fighters, four soldiers and two policemen were killed in ensuing clashes.
The district chief, Amanuddin Quraishi, told Pajhwok Afghan News that another six soldiers were wounded in the clashes. The area between Imam Sahib and Dasht-i-Archi districts had been captured by militants but security forces were fighting to recapture it, Quraishi said.
He claimed foreign militants including Chechens, Uzbeks and Tajiks, directed by local rebels, were among the fighters.
Provincial police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini said a military operation was going on and they would soon regain control of the area.
But Taliban’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed capturing three villages including Kalbad and killing four Afghan forces and wounding 10 others, including Afghan Local Police (ALP) commander Abdul Hakim.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.