Taliban claim of district’s fall rejected
KAMDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): The Taliban on Thursday claimed capturing the Registan district of southern Kandahar province, but the authorities rejected the assertion as exaggerated.
Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, the insurgent movement’s spokesman, said the district had fallen to the militants as a result of a coordinated attack that forced the security personnel to retreat to Shurabak town.
However, the authorities insisted the district remained under their control. The governor’s spokesman Samim Khpalwak said the district centre had been shifted for administrative reasons.
The step had been taken in line with residents’ demand to provide the locals with more facilities, he explained, saying security personnel’s deployment to the district remained unchanged.
District chief Yar Mohammad also spurned the Taliban claim as propaganda. He said the previous district centre was hard to reach for the people and hence its shifting to a new location.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.