Taliban launch group attack on Camp Bastion
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Taliban insurgents launched a group attack on an Afghan military base formally housing British troops in southern Helmand province on Thursday evening, the military said.
The attack on Camp Bastion was repulsed by Afghan National Army’s 215th Maiwand Military Corps, killing four assailants, the corps deputy commander, Gen. Ghulam Farooq Parwani, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
But another security official said the attack continued and the assailants were trying to enter the base.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, asserting responsibility for the attack, said a group of suicide bombers had been able to penetrate the military base.
He claimed a number of aircrafts and tanks were destroyed in the assault.
Britain troops vacated Camp Bastion, their last military base, and handed it over to Afghan forces on October 26.
British troops have been present in Afghanistan since 2001 and Camp Bastion had been a central base of British army since 2006.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.