Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban reject UN report as one-sided

Taliban reject UN report as one-sided

Dec 20, 2014 - 19:31

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The Talibaninfo-icon on Saturday rejected as one-sided and far from true a United Nations report on civilian casualties this year in Afghanistaninfo-icon.

The report released last night said 3,188 civilians have been killed and another 6,429 injured during the first eleven months of the year, indicating a 20 percent rise over last year’s casualties, making 2014 the deadliest year for civilians since 2001.

The UN blamed Taliban insurgents, the Haqqani networkinfo-icon and other militant outfits for 75 percent of civilian casualties this year.

In a statement, the movement said: “The report has been shared with our political office, which has rejected it. We once again reject the report as one-sided and far from just.”

It said the UN always prepared reports on civilian casualties on the basis of prejudice and political desires.

In their statement, the Taliban claimed most casualties among civilians had resulted from US airstrikes, citing the incident in central Parwan province’s Siagard district as an example. Five students were reportedly killed in a coalition airstrike in the district.

The rebels also accused the government-created Afghan Local Police (ALP) personnel of often killing and harassing civilians.

But officials said mostly civilians have been killed in suicide attacks carried out and claimed by Taliban.

The government has accused the Taliban of carrying out a suicide attack that killed 60 people in the Yahyakhel district of southeastern Paktika province.

Similarly, the Ministry of Interior says mostly civilians have been killed and wounded in recent suicide and bomb attacks in Kabul.

But the Taliban said civilians were rarely hurt in their attacks. The UN has held government forces responsible for 12 percent of civilian casualties in its latest report.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update