Sadat ready for trial if poll fraud evidence produced
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) chief said on Wednesday he was ready to stand trial if any evidence of his involvement in electoral fraud was produced.
Abdul Sattar Sadat told journalists the commission was prepared to answer all fraud allegations. “Those who claim we were involved in fraud can produce evidence and we are prepared to go to court.”
Sadat welcomed reforms in electoral panels, saying the commissions would not accept extra-constitutional powers.
President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah agreed prior to the forming the unity government to establish a commission for reforming the electoral panels.
Reacting to a recent survey by Democracy International (DI), Sadat rejected the report as “illogical and ridiculous”. DI’s report had called corruption in electoral panels a major challenge.
Sadat also released the final report of IECC’s fact-finding commission regarding fraud in last year’s presidential elections.
Based on the 500-page report, three permanent employees of IEC and eight IECC workers were blacklisted because of their involvement in malpractices along with 10,000 ad hoc employees.
They would not be able to work on any elections process for the next 10 years in line with the relevant rules, the IECC head concluded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.