16-member rebels group joins peace process in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAJHWOK): A 16-member insurgent group joined the government-initiated peace process in eastern Nangarhar province, the Peace Committee chief said on Thursday.
Haji Malik Nazir told Pajhwok Afghan News the group had been active in Ghanikhel district and led by commanders Khalid and Rough Gul.
Earlier, the group carried out anti-state activities such as torching oil tankers and blowing up bridges on the Kabul-Torkham Highway.
He noted 511 insurgents had renounced violence in the province and the government had provided them with jobs.
“Earlier, we provided insurgents who returned to normal life with jobs but now the government pays the commander 13,000 afghanis and each fighter 8,000 afghanis a month,” he added.
Rough Gul said: “We were involved in anti-state activities in Ghanikhel and Batikot districts. But now we understand that we were on the wrong path, destroying our own country.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.