Civilians killed in Ghanikhel operation, elders claim
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): A number of tribal elders from eastern Nangarhar province on Saturday condemned the Ghanikhel district operation and claimed that mostly civilians had been killed in the offensive.
On Friday, spokesman for the 201st Selab Military Corps Nauman Hatifi told Pajhwok Afghan News nine members of Islamic State (IS) had been killed and 12 others wounded during the operation.
But tribal elders from Shinwari district in a protest gathering in Jalalabad City, the provincial capital, said those killed in the operation were mostly civilians, not IS members.
Maulvi Ziaullah Hakimi, a tribal elder, told the meeting: “We came here to express our grief over the operation in which civilians were inflicted casualties.”
Sayed Hakim, another tribal elder of Achin district, criticized the government over and said that an investigation should be carried out to know facts.
Wakil Baba, a resident of Ghani Khel district, said: “Our colleague Niaz Gul was also killed in the operation. He had neither connection to Taliban nor to IS. Two of his sons serving in Afghan National Army (ANA) were also killed.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.