6 militants eliminated in Kunduz operation, says ANA
KUNDUZ CITY (PAJHWOK): Six militants have been killed and two others injured during a clearing operation in northeastern Kunduz province official said on Wednesday.
An army officer said the operation was launched in a Gor Tepa area near the provincial capital two days ago. Two villages have been cleared and some rebel hideouts destroyed.
Col. Muhammad Nadir told Pajhwok Afghan News one policeman was also wounded, but civilians suffered no casualties in the offensive.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed two army tanks had been destroyed and three security personnel killed in Kunduz City.
Meanwhile, residents called the operation an exercise in futility, saying the insurgents would return to the area soon after the security forces withdrew.
One of the locals, Abdul Azim, said: “Taliban storm back when security forces pull out of the area after each operation.”
But officials said that they had established security check-posts after and would take steps to prevent the fighters’ entry into the area.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.