7 dead, 46 injured in Lashkargah suicide bombing
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): At least seven people were killed and 46 others wounded in a suicide attack in Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province, on Wednesday.
The attack took place at 11am when an explosives-laden Mazda truck was detonated in the city, acting governor Mohammad Jan Rassoulyar told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Seven people were killed and 21 others wounded in the powerful explosion that destroyed most parts of the governor’s house. Most of the victims were civilians, he said.
He added the agriculture director, Nad Ali district chief, former administrative head of Greshk and governor’s spokesman Omar Zwak were among the wounded.
But Nisar Ahmad Barak, Bust Hospital director, confirmed receiving 20 wounded people while 26 others were evacuated to other health facilities in Lashkargah. The wounded included civilians and government officers.
Provincial council head Mohammad Karim Atal, meanwhile, claimed her was the apparent target of the attack, which happened in front of his residence.
“A man and his son were killed and two of my bodyguards wounded in the explosion,” Atal said. An NGO compound and several houses in the area were also damaged.
Eyewitness Abdullah, who took part in the rescue operation, claimed seeing 15 dead bodies and wounded people.
The bomber struck at a time while a meeting on growing incidents of kidnapping was underway at the governor’s house. Rassoulyar and other government and NGO officials were in attendance.
As usual, the Taliban took responsibility for the attack; with the group’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying heavy casualties had been inflicted on security forces and government servants.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.