Kidnapped passengers alive; rescue bid ongoing: Mohaqiq
KABUL (Pajhwok): Deputy Chief Executive Officer Mohammad Mohaqiq on Saturday that 31 passengers, who were kidnapped last month, were alive and efforts to rescue them continued.
He said all possible efforts were being made to secure the safe release of the individuals, who had been abducted by unidentified gunmen on their way from Herat to Kabul on February 23.
Addressing a Nawroz flag-hoisting ceremony in the Jamal Mina area of the capital, deputy CEO hoped they had been in contact with different groups. He hoped the captives would be freed.
Following the kidnappings, Afghan security forces conducted a search operation and killed dozens of militants, but there had been no clue to the individuals, The Taliban rebels have denied having hand in the incident.
More than a week back, Mohaqiq had said he had informally sent a delegation to Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, for talks on their release.
He added the group, to which the kidnappers were linked, had been told that innocent people had been seized. Another Karachi-based extremist group has also been contacted.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.