13 civilians shot dead in attack on passenger bus
MAIDAN SHAHAR (Pajhwok): Suspected militants killed 13 passengers, including a woman, in a predawn on the Kabul-Ghazni highway, an official said on Tuesday.
The governor’s spokesperson, Attaullah Khogyani, told Pajhwok Afghan News the massacre happened in Syedabad district.
A son of the woman killed in the incident, which happened at 1.00am, is the only survivor. Naveed, the sole survivor, said the assailants were clad in black dresses.
Humayun, a local resident, said Islamic State fighters were recently spotted in the area. He believed they might have carried out the deadly bus attack.
Acting Governor Abdul Majid Khogyani expressed profound shock at the incident and ordered security forces to investigate it and bring the perpetrators to justice.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest to target civilians. The bus was heading for Kandahar City. The gunmen picked their victims and shot them one by one.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.