Death toll into Khost suicide attack surges to 20
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): The death toll into the devastated suicide attack on Thursday in the southeastern Khost province surged to 20 as two more tribal elders succumbed to injuries in hospital.
Mubariz Zadran, spokesman for the acting governor, on Friday confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News that 20 persons were dead and the widely condemned bombing left another 64, most of them seriously, wounded.
Col. Gul Mohammad, a senior security official, said that former provincial council candidate Khan Zaman, tribal elder Sher Nawaz Haqmal and Wolesi Jirga member Humayun Humayun and some of their body guards were among the fatalities.
Humayun, he said had been airlifted to a hospital in Kabul for treatment.
The blast jolted the locality at around 10:00 am near the tents established by the anti-governor protesters, an eyewitness said, adding that ambulances evacuated some injured to the hospital.
According to the statement, 17 people were killed and 37 others including lawmaker Humanyun Humanyun were wounded in the blast.
However, Mubariz Ahmad Zadran, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News, the bomber was on foot who blew himself up among the crowd. He said 18 people have been killed and 64 others wounded in the devastating explosion.
He condemned the explosion in strongest words and termed it an act against Islam and humanity. Authorities concerned had been tasked to investigate the blast and arrest the perpetrators.
Mostly, the dead and wounded were civilians, tribal elders and a number of former provincial council members, he said, adding the wounded were immediately evacuated to different hospitals.
Wolesi Jirga member Humanyun Humanyun was evacuated to Kabul hospital by a helicopter, Zadran said.
A security official wishing to go unnamed said the bombing took place at the middle of the protesters that caused huge casualties. The Wolesi Jirga member Humayun Humayun was among the wounded.
Soon after the blast, security forces cordoned off the area. Meanwhile, pro-governor and anti-governor people have been protesting in Khost City.
In a statement, the Resolute Support strongly condemned the suicide bombing in Khost City this morning.
It said: “RS expresses its condolences to the families of those killed and wounded in today's attack. We maintain our commitment to the people of Afghanistan who value progress and growth and reject violence, as we work to our shared goal of a prosperous Afghanistan.”
Taliban Spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid rejected his group involvement in the blast.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.