2 of the abducted passengers dead in captivity: Haq Bayan
QALAT (Pajhwok): Two of the 31 abducted passengers in southern Zabul province have lost their lives in captivity, provincial council head said on Monday.
The men were kidnapped from passenger buses and kidnapped at gunpoint on Feb 23 on the road between Kabul and western Herat province in the Shahjoy district of southern Zabul province.
The kidnappers are believed to be members of the self-styled Islamic State (IS) group. However, so far no group has come forward to claim responsibility for the kidnapping. It is said that these abducted passengers were being held in Khak-e-Jabar and Arghandab districts.
Atta Jaan Haq bayan, Zabul provincial council head, told Pajhwok Afghan News the Khak-e-Jabar residents have informed him that one of the abducted passengers has died a natural death, while another one has been shot dead by his captors. He did not give more details.
Zabul police chief, however, said they were not aware of any such developments regarding the status of the kidnapped persons.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah also said on Monday that efforts were ongoing to secure the safe release of the passengers.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.