Ghani orders probe into Khost attack, corruption
KABUL (Pajhwok): President Ashraf Ghani has ordered the creation of two separate teams to investigate a recent suicide attack at a protest rally and administrative corruption in southeastern Khost province.
The president issued the directives at a meeting with tribal elders and influential figures, who he had sent to Khost to express solidarity with families of the victims and provide them with urgent relief on his behalf.
The elders, who called on the president at the Presidential Palace in Kabul on Wednesday, told the president that they had extended condolences to the bereaved families and provided them with necessary assistance in compliance with his directives, a statement from the palace said.
The elders had met relatives of the victims of the suicide attack that killed 22 people and injured 62 others about a week ago in Khost City, the provincial capital. The bomber struck in the middle of a protest demonstration against administrative corruption.
The delegation from Khost told the president that they had held talks with local tribal elders, influential figures and religious scholars on bringing the situation to normalcy.
As a result of their talks, they said the situation in Khost had returned to normalcy after the protest was called off and government offices and marketplaces were reopened.
The statement said President Ghani, considering demands from the elders, ordered the creation of two separate commissions to permanently resolve the existing problems in Khost.
One of the commissions would investigate the suicide attack and the second administrative corruption in Khost and would report back to the presidency.
The president said a decision about the leadership in Khost province would be taken after consultations with elders and influential figures of the province.
Two lawmakers Humayun and Kamal Nasir Osoli had been leading the protests against Khost Governor Abdul Jabbar Naeemi who they had accused of corruption.
On Thursday last, a suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of the demonstration, killing 22 people and injuring 62 others, including Humayun.
The protests lasted more than 10 days and were called off a day earlier after a delegation from Kabul intervened.
Governor Naeemi had rejected the allegations against him as baseless and accused the two lawmakers of promoting their own interests.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.