Jalalabad firefight incident being investigated: ANA
JALALABAD (Pajwhok): A security official said investigations into the green-on-blue incident showed two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers, one foreign service member were killed and seven foreign troops and an Afghan soldier wounded in the brief firefight in Jalalabad, the provincial capital of eastern Nangarhar province.
The incident took place in the governor’s house last Wednesday. After the incident, a statement from the Resolute Support mission said: “An incident in Jalalabad resulted in the death of one Resolute Support service member.”
Col. Numan Hatifi, spokesman for the 201st Selab Military Corps, on Friday said that Afghan and foreign troops exchanged fire when the soldiers of 4th brigade were returning back after the end of a meeting between Afghan and foreign officials.
The contingent of Afghan forces had been with foreigners in different operations and trainings for the past 18 months, he said, adding that they were invited by the foreigners to observe security of surrounding areas at the governor house.
The official recalled, the firing between both sides erupted after Afghan soldier Abdul Azim resorted to unprovoked firing on foreigners.
The Resolute Support mission had said that the incident would be investigated jointly with Afghan officials to ensure that such incidents should not harm “our future cooperation with Afghans.”
Earlier, Zubair Sediqi, who claimed to be a spokesperson of Hezb-i-Islami (HIA), said the attacker was a member of his party.
He added the attacker, Azim, was their insider in the Afghan army ranks.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.