82 Herat students fall ill after eating ‘magic beans’
HERAT CITY (Pajhwok): At least 82 schoolchildren fell ill after eating beans from a vendor in front of their school in western Herat province on Saturday, officials said.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Majid Rozi said the students, aged between 7-12 years old, fell unconscious after eating beans being sold in front of Fateh School in Herat City, the provincial capital.
The seller, who advertised the beans to help students pass their exams, has been arrested and authorities were investigating if he deliberately poisoned the schoolboys.
The police chief said all the affected students had been hospitalized. Hospital sources said the students were in stable condition. Rozi suspected the vendor might have links with insurgents and added that efforts were underway to detain his associates. However, he had no further details to share.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.