Kunduz displaced families need food, shelter
KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): Following anti-militants offensive, nearly 6,000 families have been displaced in northern Kunduz province, the Provincial Council (PC) chief said on Sunday.
Afghan security forces launched the ongoing operation to flush out insurgents from Chardara, Dasht-i-Archi, Imam-Sahib and Khanabad districts, also inflicting casualties on civilians.
Two months back, officials said the number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) was 2,000, but now Mohammad Yousuf Ayubi, the provincial council head, says around 6,000 families have migrated to safer areas.
Ayubi told Pajhwok Afghan News thousands of families fleeing houses were in dire need of food and shelter as a majority of them were forced to live under open sky. Some families were residing with their relatives, he said.
Ayubi lashed out at the government for not reaching out to the displaced persons. “The government should work out an inclusive strategy to ensure their early and safe repatriation,” he added.
Amanuddin Quraishi, the Imam Sahib district administrative chief, said 2,000 families were stranded in other parts of the district for the last two months.
He said some food items had been provided to 400 families, but there was dire need to feed hundreds of more families.
Abdul Manan, a resident of Tashgozar locality, said he had been displaced with his 10-member family for the last two months. He had left everything behind and was waiting to return to his hometown.
“We can’t even find a work in Kunduz City to earn a livelihood for our families. The government should secure our areas to ensure our early return,” he added.
Last month, a contingent of 1,000 army personnel was deployed to Kunduz. Local officials hoped security would improve accordingly.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.