30 feared dead as Kapisa fighting flares up
MAHMOOD RAQI (Pajhwok): At least 30 militants, including civilians, are said to be killed in the ongoing clashes between security forces and militants in the Tagab district of central Kapisa province, an official said on Monday.
Latest, gunfight erupted early morning on the Alasae main road when security forces convoy was moving towards the locality, Police Chief Khwaja Faqir Ahmad Sidiqui said.
Fifteen rebels have been killed or wounded in the gun battle so far. The militants, he said suffered heavy causalities when a mortar the militants wanted to target security forces’ position exploded prematurely.
However, the official did not have exact figure into casualties suffered by insurgents in the fight.
Meanwhile, Attaullah, a resident of Tatarkhel locality, said eight civilians have also been killed and seven others wounded in the exchange of fire. Majority the residents fled to safer areas to dodge casualties, he added.
Sediqui, claimed rebels had been using sniper guns in fight with security forces since last two years.
The militants could not fight face to face with the security forces. Sniper rifle is a Russian made weapon that could hit a target from a distance.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.