Jalalabad insider attack was isolated act
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): A senior Afghan military official on Tuesday said the killing of a US soldier by an Afghan colleague in eastern Nangarhar province six days ago “was an isolated act of the shooter.
The man dressed in the uniform of local security forces opened fire on US soldiers in Jalalabad, the provincial capital, on Wednesday, killing one American and wounding several more before the shooter himself and another Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier were killed and a third injured.
Sources said six American soldiers were injured in the exchange of fire, which was said to be initiated by an unidentified Afghan man dressed in the uniform of Afghan security forces.
After the incident, Nangarhar security officials said they had launched investigations into the attack and the investigation seems to be still underway.
Gen. Mohammad Zaman Waziri, the corps commander in Nangarhar, and NATO Resolute Support Mission deputy commander Lt. Gen. Paolo Ruggero and Gen Bereir attended the meeting, according the spokesman for the 201 Selab Military Corps, Col. Noman Hatafi.
He said the military officials discussed besides other issues of mutual interest the insider’s attack in Jalalabad.
“Gen. Waziri assured the Pentagon and the people of America that the attack was an isolated act not a targeted one and the NATO officials expressed their satisfaction with his comments.”
To a question, the spokesman said the investigation so far showed the attack was the shooter’s personal act. He said the killer had been with American Special Forces for 18 months as part of ANA service member. He showed no negative indicators during his two years of service, Hatafi said of the attacker.
He said the meeting discussed the security situation, coordination among Afghan security forces during their ongoing search operations and other issues relating operations.
Meanwhile, the Selab Military Corps in a statement said its troops were ready to carry out the spring offensive.
It quoted Lt. Gen. Paolo Ruggero as saying at the meeting with Gen. Waziri that the security situation in areas where the Selab Corps were in control had improved following the security transition from NATO forces to their Afghan counterparts.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.