Displaced Waziristan families in Khost get assistance
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): A Saudi Arabia charity organization has disbursed edible and other assistance among 2,800 displaced Waziristani families in southeastern Khost province, advisor to refugees’ ministry, Hayatullah Sabaoon, said Thursday.
Thousands of families displaced from Pakistani military operation in North Waziristan were living at Gulan Camp in Khost.
The assistance divided among the deserved families worth 8 million afs included rice, ghee, sugar, beans and other edibles, Sabaoon told Pajhwok Afghan News. “Each family will get 24 kilograms of edible items”, he added.
Officials of the charity were also present during the edible distribution ceremony. They charity pledged to extend further assistance to support the displaced families. The Gurbuz district chief, Mohammad Akbar Zadran, said a list of deserving families had been prepared which would help smooth distribution of aid and assistance.
Din Mohammad, a refugee, hoping for a better future said: “We expect more aid from international community because of the holy month of Ramadhan is approaching”.
Ayaki Ito, the senior UNHCR official, ensured he would provide necessary assistance to refugees who wanted voluntary repatriation to their home country. He said that the displaced families staying in Afghanistan would also get aid.
As many as 435,000 families fled North Waziristan and arrived in Afghanistan’s Khost province after the Pakistani army launched a major offensive against militants in the country’s tribal areas near the Afghan border.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.