Ulumi visits Badakhshan after Taliban massacre
KABUL (Pajhwok): Interior Minister Noorul Haq Ulumi arrived in northeastern Badakhshan province and travelled to the troubled Juram district on Thursday, about a week later Afghan troops suffered many casualties in a massive Taliban attack.
The Friday’s attack left 27 Afghan National Army (ANA) troops dead and eight others were beheaded after being seized.
Ulumi landed in Faizabad, the provincial capital, and headed to Juram and Warduj districts to assess the security situation there, said Ahmad Naveed Frotan, the provincial government spokesman.
The massacre was widely condemned across the country, with civil society groups blaming it on the government’s failure to appoint the defence minister.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced immediately after the incident that a delegation had been sent to the area. It said officials who had committed negligence would be sacked.
The MoD said that 20 insurgents, including six foreign fighters, had been killed in the fighting and another 17 wounded.
The Taliban, however, had claimed killing 49 soldiers in the attack.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.