Jalalabad suicide attack widely condemned
KABUL (Pajhwok): President Ashraf Ghani joined by a number of world leaders, missions and others to condemn in categorical terms the terrorist attack which resulted in the killing and injuring of scores of civilians in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province.
A suicide bomber blew himself up in front of Kabul Bank, leaving 34 persons dead and more than 108 injured in Jalalabad City, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, on Saturday morning, a doctor at the provincial civil hospital said.
A statement from Presidential Palace said that President Ghani condemned the blast in strongest terms. He said: "Bomb blasts in public places are the work of coward, senseless and anti-state elements who don't have the courage to fight Afghan forces."
Brig. Gen. Fazal Ahmed Sherzad told Pajhwok Afghan News that the suicide bomber was riding on motorbike which exploded his suicide vest in front of the bank. Children were among the fatalities.
But Dr. Najib Kamawal, director of Nangarhar Civil Hospital, confirmed 33 persons dead and over 100 wounded. He said a state of emergency had been declared at the hospital, with most of the injured were struggling for life.
A statement from the MoI said that the incident took place while a suicide bomber detonated his suicide vest among people queuing up for salaries near the New Kabul Bank branch at around 08:00 am.
Soon after the attack, the statement said that Afghan National Police (ANP) discovered, defused and exploded two explosives-rigged motorcycles in the area, the other two explosions were controlled explosions.
It strongly condemned all acts of violence as “these heinous acts go against the values of humanity as well values of peaceful Afghans. These attacks also demonstrate and extreme level of atrocity by terrorists against innocent and defenseless civilians.”
The MoI expressed: “Its deepest condolences to the families and relatives who lost their lives in this incident,” the statement concluded.
In a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Pakistan condemned the deadly terrorist attack in Jalalabad this morning in which many precious lives were lost and a large number were injured.
“Such cowardly and indiscriminate attacks against civilians have no justification under any circumstances. We send our deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims and pray for speedy recovery of the injured,” the statement added.
Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the bomb blast, a separate statement from the prime minister office said.
Extending condolences to the bereaved families on this tragic incident, he said: “Terrorism is a common enemy of both the countries which are now taking joint steps to eradicate this menace.”
In a statement, the headquarters Resolute Support strongly condemned the killing and injury of dozens of people in Nangarhar province today.
Anti-government elements continue to demonstrate their complete disregard for human life through attacks such as these. “We are saddened to learn of the murders of innocent civilians, victims in this attack,” said Brig. Gen. Wilson Shoffner, Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications.
Ambassador Ismail Aramaz, the NATO Senior Civilian Representative in Afghanistan also condemned today’s attacks. “I join President Ghani and the United Nations in condemning this atrocious act of indiscriminate violence against the people of Afghanistan. On behalf of all NATO allies and partners, I offer my heartfelt condolences to the families of those killed and injured in this barbaric attack,” he said.
The US Embassy strongly condemned the "barbaric attacks" in Jalalabad, Nangarhar province, which resulted in numerous casualties.
A statement released by the US Embassy in Kabul said: "We offer our sincere condolences to the victims and their families and we wish for a speedy recovery of those injured."
The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Marziyeh Afkham condemned recent terrorist attack in Afghanistan’s eastern city of Jalalabad which killed a number of people.
Afkham condoled with families of martyrs and expressed sympathy with those who survived the terrorist act.
“Terrorism, extremism and endangering the lives of innocent people are unjustified and unacceptable,” she added.
The European Union Special Representative in Afghanistan Ambassador Franz Michael Mellbin strongly condemned indiscriminate attack in Jalalabad that left scores of people dead and wounded.
In a statement, Ambassador Mellbin offered his sincere condolences to the families and friends of the victims. "….. The EU remains committed towards helping the Afghan people achieve a peaceful and prosperous future" said Ambassador Mellbin.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.