Protesters want Badakhshan carnage probed
KABUL (Pajhwok): A number of residents of northeastern Badakhshan province on Saturday staged a protest against Warduj district attack that left 30 Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers dead, demanding the government to investigate the incident thoroughly.
Taliban gunmen killed 30 ANA soldiers, with beheading eight personnel last week in Juram district of the province.
A number of civil society organizations and government institutions vehemently criticized the Taliban’s brutality and also questioned the ability of government and security organs.
The protesters gathered in Zanbaq square of the capital Kabul chanting slogans: “To forgive Afghans’ murderers is a crime. Abdullah (CEO) should stand with us or resign and death to Taliban supporters and death to representatives who released Taliban from Badakhshan jail.”
Mohammad Islam Yaftali, an organizer of the protest, accused the government for negligence about Warduj attack and said that security forces should launch clearing operations in northern regions as soon as possible.
Another protestor Abdul Manan Shiwa demanded government officials end the evil trend of promoting ALP and Islamic State groups in Badakhshan otherwise all residents of the province would stand against government.
He said the people of Badakhshan would never accept any deal and the residents should not be sacrificed for others’ interests.
Iran Gul Saihoon, another protester, said jailed Taliban should not be given amnesty or released from prison because releasing them was the main cause of ANA casualties.
At the end, they adopted a resolution, saying that senior provincial authorities should be sacked and replaced with professional and efficient officials.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.