Balkh land dispute leaves 50 wounded
MAZAR-E-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Fifty persons were injured, with some of them seriously, in an armed clash between two warlords on the ownership of a piece of land in northern Balkh province on Sunday, the head of provincial council said.
Mohammad Ibrahim Khairandesh told Pajhwok Afghan News two influential persons had a long dispute claiming ownership of 500 acres of land close to Mazar-e-Sharif, the provincial capital.
Armed with pistols, knives and other light weapons, thousands of supporters of both the warring parties attacked each other, which left dozens of persons injured.
Ahmadullah, an eyewitness, said both the parties clashed in the morning and had been claiming ownership of the land. A number of wounded persons were evacuated to various hospitals.
However, police have not yet spoken on the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.