Ulumi denies NSC has given money to Daesh
KABUL (Pajhwok): Interior Minister Noorul Haq Ulumi on Thursday said the National Security Council (NCS) had not disbursed money to families of fighters aligned with the so-called Islamic State (IS) group in southeastern Paktika province, citing an ongoing investigation.
Paktika governor Abdul Karim Matin had reportedly said the NSC had distributed $200,000 to families of Daesh fighters in the province.
The NSC a day earlier appointed a team, led by Ulumi, to investigate the governor’s claim. Ulumi told reporters in Kabul on Thursday that the probe team had launched its investigation into the matter.
“So far what has become clear to us is that the previous government had ordered distribution of assistance to refugees in Paktika last year. The then governor and other provincial officials were present during the distribution process.”
Ulumi said the aid distribution happened at a time when there was no group in Afghanistan by the name of Daesh.
He also said the media had quoted Paktika governor out of context as he meant to say families linked to some groups might have benefitted from the aid.
“The bottom line is the previous government had distributed aid in Paktika to displaced families and in this regard there was no accusation against the NSC.”
Ulumi said the Paktika governor was an experienced and wise man, who had introduced some development programmes, which had been endorsed by the president.
Interior security commissions of both houses of parliament had also decided to summon National Security advisor Hanif Atmar and Paktika governor Abdul Karim Matin to explain the matter.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.