Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Contact lost with 500 security men in Imam Sahib

Contact lost with 500 security men in Imam Sahib

Apr 27, 2015 - 16:31

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The Imaminfo-icon Sahib district chief in northern Kunduz province on Monday said they had lost contact with nearly 500 security forces after they were engaged in fierce clashes with thousands of heavily-armed insurgents attacking the town from all directions.

The clashes broke out in the district’s centre on Monday afternoon after about 2,000 heavily-armed insurgents attacked the district’s headquarters.

Amanuddin Quraishi told Pajhwok Afghan News at around 3pm that contacts with the security forces resisting the attackers in Tashguzar, Taza Laqi and other areas had been lost.

He said he had shared the issue with the provincial governor, but so far no additional forces had arrived.

Earlier, Quraishi told Pajhwok Afghan News the insurgents entered the district centre in the afternoon and were engaged in severe gun-battles by security forces.

Leaving his office to closely monitor the situation, Quraishi added the insurgents had stormed the district central from several sides.

He said the insurgents also included foreign fighters. “If we don’t receive reinforcements soon, the district can fall to the insurgents,” he warned.

Mohammad Yusuf Ayubi, the provincial council head, confirmed insurgents had entered the district capital and heavy fire-fight was ongoing.

Despite their pleas, he said, the government was yet to additional forces to beat back the attackers. “It is because of government’s negligence that insurgents have become this strong.”

According to Ayubi, districts such as Char Dara, Aliabad and Dasht-i-Archi were also in danger of falling to the Talibaninfo-icon. “Currently 65 percent of Kunduz is under Taliban control,” he claimed.

Sayed Sarwar Husseini, the governor’s spokesman, said top Ministry of Interior (MoI) officials, including deputy minister Gen. Ayub Salangi, had arrived in the province to prepare operations against insurgents.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update