At least 52 feared dead in Badakhshan landslide
FAIZABAD (Pajhwok): At least 52 people, including women and children, were missing and feared dead after a massive landslide roared through a remote village in the Khawahan district of northeastern Badakhshan province, an official said on Tuesday.
Mohammad Ghufran Zaki, the Khawahan district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News a large number of families had already vacated homes due to a looming landslide that eventually struck the Jero Bala village last night, burying families who remained in their homes thinking they would be safe.
At least 25 women, 22 children and five men were missing and believed to have died, he said.
Syed Abdullah Humayun Dehqan, Afghanistan Natural Disaster Management Authority (ANDMA) head for Badakhshan, said over a meter of snow had already accumulated in the area and the landslide struck when another 25 inches of snow fell. He said heavy snow had blocked all roads leading to the district, disrupting relief activity, adding the only way to reach the area was by air.
In Argu district of Badakhshan at least 350 people were killed in a similar disaster in early May last year.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.