Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

‘No district in danger of falling to rebels’

‘No district in danger of falling to rebels’

Apr 29, 2015 - 20:47

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The defence and interior ministries on Wednesday announced launching of 21 clearing operations across 13 provinces, saying no province or district was in danger of falling to insurgents.

Dawlat Waziri, deputy spokesman of the Defence Ministry, rejected as baseless reports that Talibaninfo-icon had captured the Imaminfo-icon Sahib district in Kunduz province, saying security forces were in full control of the area.

“There is no such fear with us. In Kunduz, operations are ongoing and our forces are advancing with caution because insurgents have taken refuge in residential areas,” he added.

A major challenge ahead for security forces, he said, was landmines planted by insurgents and getting rid of them was their first priority.

Of the 21 operations across 13 provinces, he said, the biggest ones had been launched in Ghazni and Zabul where security forces inflicted heavy casualties on militants.

Afghanistaninfo-icon is at war. But we have the ability to sternly deal with any group that poses threat to people’s safety,” he concluded.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said insurgents wanted to create a base for themselves in the north but they had failed miserably.

He added the Haqqani Networkinfo-icon, Al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) and other terrorist groups were behind the recent spike in insecurity in Afghanistan.

He was also of the opinion that the Taliban lacked power to overrun an entire district or province.

According to Seddiqi, reinforcements had reached Kunduz province and the situation in Imam Saheb district was under security forces’ control.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update