8 rebels killed as forces recapture Faryab villages
MAIMANA (Pajhwok): Security forces killed eight rebels, regained control of eight villages and reopened a major highway in northwestern Faryab province, officials said on Wednesday.
Police chief Abdul Nabi Elham told Pajhwok Afghan News another 10 insurgents were wounded during an ongoing operation involving Afghan National Army (ANA) and police personnel backed by air support from the Afghan Air Force in the Qaisar district.
Meanwhile, Gen. Sherin Shah Kohabandi, the spokesman for the 1st brigade of 209th Shahin Military Corps, said Du Abi, Kunjuk, Chaharshanba, Bashalmast, Buland Ghor and some other villages had been cleared of insurgents as a result of the operation codenamed as “Khanjar.”
He said the ongoing offensive would continue until militants were completely eliminated in the district. He said security forces had so far suffered no casualties.
A resident of Qaiser district, wishing to go unnamed, said Taliban fighters fled the area as the air strikes began, but the ground forces did not chase them and they staged a comeback after the airstrikes had ended.
The Taliban said nothing about their casualties, but claimed killing 10 security men and capturing four check-posts in Qaisar.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.