Rebels facing defeat in north after south: Gen. Murad
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Vice Chief of Army Staff Gen. Murad Ali Murad on Saturday said the enemy had been defeated in the south and were facing defeat in the north.
Gen. Murad was talking to Pajhwok Afghan News on the sidelines of a change of command ceremony that saw Maj. Gen. Abdul Hameed Hameed assuming as new commander of the Afghan National Army’s 209 Shaheen Military Corps at the corps headquarters in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of northern Balkh province.
Gen. Murad said the insurgents received aid from foreign countries, but he would not name the countries due to the ongoing peace process. However, he said the Afghan forces were able to keep the conflict in the north from being intensified.
The ground forces commander said he had been spearheading recent security operations in the north and as a commander, he could confirm that the rebels had suffered a lot.
He said civilians in northern Kunduz and northeastern Badakhshan provinces escaped unharmed in recent violence that left only eight Afghan security personnel dead.
More than 100 fighters were killed in Kunduz and more than 50 insurgents in northern Badakhshan, he said.
Murad said people’s fears about security were justifiable, but they should trust Afghan security forces that they would maintain order in the region.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.