Disabled protestors shut ministry’s gate in Kabul
KABUL (Pajhwok): Disabled people on Sunday closed the main gate of the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Martyrs and Disabled (MoLSAMD) in Kabul during a protest demonstration.
The protestors were demanding land plots which they said had been allotted to them under a residential scheme in Kabul by former president Hamid Karzai.
The protestors were not allowing anyone to enter the ministry.
Two protestors told reporters that ex-president Karzai had ordered the authorities concerned to distribute plots to them in a newly-constructed township in the Qasaba area.
They said initially 1,200 disabled persons had registered for the plots, but only 160 were shortlisted and they too could not be given the plots.
Right activist Mohammad Yasin Haqparast told Pajhwok Afghan News: “According to the presidential orders, the government has to provide plots to the disabled persons in the Qasaba Township located in Kabul.”
Mohammad Hassan Safi, union leader of the disabled, said: “We lost our body parts for the protection of the country. We have documents that prove our claim for plots.”
He said a joint commission of the Urban Ministry, the Afghanistan Human Rights Commission and the Attorney General Office had been formed to carry out the process of distributing plots to the disabled. “But no one did justice to us.”
MoLSAMD officials did not speak to the media about the matter.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.