Kunduz residents ordered to leave homes
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Security officials on Sunday asked residents in insecure areas to leave homes as they planned to launch search raids this afternoon against insurgents in and around the capital of northern Kunduz province.
Kunduz police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Husseini told Pajhwok Afghan News the decision was announced through local media channels to the residents of Imam Sahib, Ali Abad, Qala-i-Zal and Char Dara districts as well as some troubled areas in the provincial capital, where insurgents had physical presence.
Husseini said the insurgents had taken refuge in residential areas, making it difficult to advance the ground and air offensive.
He added the operations would start this afternoon and residents were ordered to leave homes in order to prevent civilian casualties.
Amruddin Wali, the provincial council’s deputy head, said they were against the decision since most of the families had no place to stay in Kunduz City.
He said the government should have established a camp for the families where aid could easily be delivered to them.
Mirza Abdul Qayum, a resident of Gortapa area, said he could not vacate his home along with his 10 family members. “I can’t take my family out of this place because I have nobody is Kunduz city to stay with. The government should decide about our fate.”
Kunduz governor Mohammad Omar Safi had said more than 12,000 security forces personnel would take part in the operations, which would also extend to Badakhshan and Faryab provinces.
The decision comes a week after 2,000 insurgents stormed Imam Sahib district and 20 security forces personnel and 140 rebels were killed in the ensuing clashes.
The clashes had already displaced thousands of families after the insurgents launched their attacks on police and military posts near the provincial capital nine days ago.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.