Verdict in Farkhunda case on Wednesday: judge
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Kabul primary court on Monday indicted 49 people, including several police officials, in the Farkhhnda murder case and said it would hand down its judgment on Wednesday.
But the indicted police officials rejected they had committed negligence in preventing Farkhunda from killing by a mob of men in central capital Kabul.
The court framed charges against 30 individuals from the mob for beating, killing and torching Farkunda, seven police officials from the 2nd police district for showing lack of responsibility and not using legal powers and another 12 police officials for not performing their duty at the time.
Former 2nd Police District Chief Hasibullah said the investigation in the case had not been accurate. He added, “We informed the police headquarters at 4:30pm about the incident, but officials at the headquarters informed the quick response force at 5:15pm to reach the site and control the situation.”
Ex-crime branch chief Shah Mohammad said police had not committed negligence in preventing the incident. He said police had been unable to control the mob after the quick response force could not reach on time.
Syed Taimur Shah, the operation in-charge at the 2nd police district, said he did not have the responsibility to prevent the incident, but still he tried to do so.
Syed Ismail, deputy administrative chief at the area police station, said he was not present at the scene and when he informed it was too late and when he reached after struggling with traffic snarls the mob had killed Farkhaunda.
He said with the help of other police officials, they controlled the fire and carried the remains of Farkhunda to the police station.
Another indicted official, Abdul Sami, rejected the charges and said police had fired in the air to disrupt the crowd beating Farkhunda.
Each police official accused of negligence presented their arguments in the court and said it was not possible for them to prevent Farkhunda from being lynched.
After hearing arguments from the accused officials and their lawyers, judge Safiullah Mujadeddi said the case was of a complex nature and there was a need for further consideration. He said the court would hand down its verdict in the case at Wednesday’s hearing.
Earlier, the Attorney General Office had said security officials should be tried in military courts in line with the constitution. The AGO spokesman said the chief justice had accepted this request.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.