Security men among 210 dead in Kunduz offensive
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Twenty security forces, 190 rebels, including foreigners, have been killed and 220 civilians injured and thousands displaced in anti-militants offensive in northern Kunduz province, the governor said on Wednesday.
Speaking to journalists, Governor Mohammad Umar Safi said causalities suffered by rebels and security forces in the last ten-day of operation, which was conducted in Imam Sahib, Aliabad, Qalazal, Chahardara, districts and some areas of Kunduz City, the provincial capital.
As many as 2,000 militants, including Tajik, Kirgiz, Turks and Chechen were fighting against security forces. Majority of these foreigners provided logistic, financial and technical support to Taliban.
The governor said around 10,000 families had been displaced and evacuated to safer places. The families were advised to leave the area to avoid civilian causalities.
He said operation in Imam Sahib had been completed with the area had been purged of militants.
But Taliban claimed inflicting heavy casualties on security forces.
Matiullah, the resident of Gortapa locality said, security forces did not move ahead, however, the number of Taliban fighters had reduced.
He demanded the government to ensure law and order in the areas cleared of insurgents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.