Many Zabul areas purged of militants: Afghan forces
KALAT (Pajhwok): Afghan security forces on Sunday claimed inflicting heavy men and material losses on insurgents in the ongoing Nijat (salvation) operation in Qalat and Shahjoi districts in southern Zabul.
Brig. Gen. Syed Waqif Shah, commander of the 205th Atal Military Corps in the south, told Pajhwok Afghan News 70 militants were killed and 40 others wounded during the offensive.
The military operation was extended to Meezana, Arghandab, Shahr-i-Safa and other districts and led to several achievements, he noted.
Gen. Akram Samey, the 205th Atal Military Corps Brigade commander in Zabul, claimed the Afghan National Army (ANA) killed several Taliban commanders and pushed insurgents back from several districts.
The military operation commenced from borders of Zabul and Ghazni provinces which had been extended to Qalat, Dori and Surkhgan areas.
Col. Ghulam Jilani Farahi, senior police official, said security forces captured one of the main Taliban’s hideouts situated between Qalat and Shahjoi, where 400 to 500 Taliban insurgents were based.
The security forces were in better position to secure control of the entire area, he noted.
Although, the security officials asserted they could have chance to recapture Khak-e-Afghan district and could release the 31 abducted passengers from the militants yet they did not have any success.
However, casualties suffered by security forces could not be immediately ascertained.
But Taliban claimed inflicting heavy casualties on security forces during the ongoing operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.