40 rebels dead, over 100 wounded in Ghor showdown
FEROZ KOH (Pajhwok): At least 40 Taliban fighters were killed and over 100 wounded in fierce firefight with security forces on Thursday evening in the Pasaband and Charsada districts in western Ghor province, an official said Friday.
Acting Governor Said Anwar Ali Rahmati told Pajhwok Afghan News Maulvi Abdul Khaliq, a resident of Helmand, led militants in the attack in the fight for capturing the two districts but Afghan security forces repulsed their attack, inflicting heavy casualties on rebels.
The militants were pushed back from Charsada district when security forces received fresh reinforcement, he added.
Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, Taliban spokesman, said that security forces conducted aerial attacks through helicopters, jets and drones, targeting Taliban’s positions but militants were still in control of Charsada district.
He claimed security forces suffered heavy casualties in the gun battle. It is worth mentioning that Taliban took control of Charsada district last year for one day briefly and the security forces regained control the very next day.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.