Civilians among 7 dead in Kandahar violence
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Seven persons, including civilians, have been killed and five others wounded in two different security incidents in southern Kandahar province, police spokesman said on Friday.
Zia Durrani told Pajhwok Afghan News two civilians were killed and three others wounded when their car they were travelling in struck a roadside bomb in the Atta Muhammad camp locality in the Maiwand district today.
Police, he said shifted the wounded to a local hospital but they were stated to be in critical condition.
Durrani said the mines had been planted by insurgents in different localities on roadside aimed at targeting police.
Separately, In Maroof district, five militants were killed and two others wounded when a group of insurgents mounted attack on a police check post in Jaar and Kas locality.
The gun battle lasted two hours in which one policeman suffered injuries, he said, adding that militants’ corpses were still lying in the area. However, Taliban have not commented on the firefight as of yet.
After Taliban’s announcement of spring offensive, fighting gained momentum in Kandahar province, with militants staging attacks on security forces and planting roadside bombs.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.