56 Zabul areas purged of anti-state elements
QALAT (Pajhwok): After killing and injuring scores of militants in the wake of Nijat military operation, security forces claimed purging 56 areas of anti-state militants in southern Zabul province.
Brig. Gen. Syed Waqif Shah Saeedi, commander of the 205th southern military corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News on Saturday the Nijat offensive met with desired results. Afghan security forces, including Afghan National Army (ANA), Afghan National Police (ANP), National Directorate of Security (NDS) and commandos took part in the operation backed by air support.
He said that writ of the government had been established after flushing out Taliban from several villages. Waqif Shah said 113 militants including 60 Pakistani fighters were killed and as many wounded during the operation.
He said that noose had been tightened around terrorists and large swathes of territory had been cleared of militants and destroyed their hideouts. Security forces remained unhurt in the operation, he noted.
Mohammad Dawood Gulzar, provincial council member, said security forces carried out a commendable job after clearing Surkhgan area of militants.
But Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, Taliban spokesman, rejected government’s claims and said that Taliban had active presence in all areas, with heavy losses inflicted on security personnel.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.