Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban, Daesh clashes underway in Nangarhar

Taliban, Daesh clashes underway in Nangarhar

May 17, 2015 - 18:29

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The residents confronted with severe problems following six weeks fighting between self-styled Daesh fighters and Talibaninfo-icon militants in Dehbala, Achin, Speenghar, Nazyan and Kot districts in eastern Nangarhar province, a security official said Sunday. 

The official told Pajhwok Afghan News 70 Taliban militants and 50 Daesh fighters were pounding each others positions but now fighters on both side joining the fight.

“Twelve Daesh fighters were killed, 18 others wounded and 21 of them arrested. Seven Taliban fighters were killed, three wounded and six others detained in the firefight,” he added.

He said that Taliban’s shadowy governors of Achin and Durbaba districts were killed in the intense gun battle.

Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the governor’s spokesman, confirmed the firefight between the two anti-state groups and said he did not have any information regarding fighters of civilian civilians.

Col. Nouman Hatafi, commander of the 201st Selab Military Corps, also confirmed clashes between Daesh and Taliban and said: “Three top Taliban commanders, including Taliban shadowy Durbaba district chief, senior Taliban military incharge and another notorious commander Abdul Manan, are among those killed.”

The fight left negative impact on the educationinfo-icon in the province.

Mohammad Asif Shinwari, spokesman of directorate of education, said: “We have to close two schools in Ghalji and Achin areas due to continued clashes.” The students were asked to come to other schools where there was no battle, he added.

Abdul Rahman, a resident of the locality, said that fear gripped the area and “people can’t go to their fields due to fear of being killed.” It is worth mentioning that it was the harvesting season in some remote areas of the province.  Some reports say that several families migrated to safer areas.

Though the firefight erupted in remote areas of Shinwari area yet Afghan security forces stayed neutral or they might have not shared their strategies with media.

Haji Khaksar, Ghani Khail district chief, confirmed battle in remote areas of the district.

None of the said groups have shared reports regarding casualties so far but Zabihullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesperson, assured that he would share information after updating himself.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update