30 rebels dead in Jawzjan operation: Police chief
SHIBERGHAN (PAJHWOK): A senior security official claimed killing 30 insurgents and injuring 50 others in series of clashes in Aqcha, Mardian and Mangjet districts of northern Jawzjan province.
Brig. Gen. Faqir Mohammad Jawzjani, provincial police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News that Afghan security forces, Afghan National Army (ANA), Afghan National Police (ANP) and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) launched codenamed Khanjar-1 offensive against militants on Monday. The government forces had air support.
No civilian or security forces’ casualties were reported in the clashes, he said, adding that 15 villages had been cleared of anti-state elements. The anti-militants operations were being carried out in Saltaq, Haidarabad, Jangal Aregh and Qorba Chakosh districts.
But Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed 17 ANA soldiers were killed and five others wounded in the firefight.
The militants brought down a helicopter, damaged four tanks, he said, acknowledging the death of two militants.
Jawzjani said a number of families left their homes when militants took male members of the families hostage.
Mohammad Nabi, a resident of Chopan village in Aqcha district, said the anti-rebels offensive had launched two weeks back which was completed Monday. Many families left their houses because of clash but they were returning back.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.