Taliban-Daesh clashes spread to Chaparhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Ongoing clashes between Taliban and Islamic State fighters stretched to other parts of eastern Nangarhar province, with the death toll from the conflict rising to 38, officials said on Tuesday.
Eight fighters from the rival groups were killed in the latest clash in the Chaparhar district near the provincial capital, Jalalabad.
Previously 30 militants were killed and several others taken hostage during clashes between the two rival militant groups in a number of districts in the Shinwari zone that encompasses eight districts.
The latest clash that erupted on Monday in the Parki area was still ongoing, the 201 Selab Military Corps spokesman, Col. Numan Hatafi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The governor’s house has said nothing about the latest clash, but it had confirmed previous clashes between the two groups in the Shinwari zone.
Meanwhile, a resident of the Chaparhar district’s Manogi village, Abdul Rahman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the two groups had begun clashing few days ago and were still fighting.
He said both the sides had suffered casualties, but he had no figures. “People cannot go to their fields and remain indoors.”
According to security officials, the Taliban and the self-styled Islamic State groups first clashed in the Kot district six weeks ago and then their clashes spread to other districts.
It is said the clashes are intensifying with each passing day and fresh fighters are joining the two sides. Many fighters are believed to be held hostage.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.