Stanikzai nomination a historical mistake: Noor
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): The Governor of northern Balkh province Atta Mohammad Noor on Wednesday questioned the nomination of Masoom Stanikzai, a cabinet pick for defence ministry, and termed the decision “a historical mistake.”
In his message on social media, he alleged Stanikzai was the murderer of Ustad Burhanuddin Rabani, former head of the High Peace Council (HPC). Also, Munir Farhad, the governor’s spokesman, confirmed views expressed by Noor who is also the executive director of Jamiat-i-Islami political party.
He said nomination of Stanikzai for defence portfolio was against the national norms and insult to the blood of Jamiat leadership.
Stanikzai was injured twice in two suicide attacks. He was present at the house of former HPC chief when a suicide bomber posing as peace messenger detonated his bomb concealed in his turban.
On Tuesday, the unity government has nominated Masoom Stanikzai as defence minister-designate and appointed Gen. Qadam Shah as Chief of Army Staff, replacing Gen. Sher Mohammad Khan Karimi.
A source while speaking on condition of anonymity said the decision had been taken after consultations between the president and the chief executive officer.
He said a formal announcement in this regard would be made soon and Stanikzai would be introduced to the parliament for a trust vote.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.