17 militants killed in Kandahar, Laghman clashes
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Security forces have launched an operation against militants in the Mianshin district of southern Kandahar province after coming under attacks for several consecutive days, an official said on Thursday.
Samim Khalwak, the provincial government spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the insurgents had been attacking security posts for the last several days, but all the attacks had been repulsed.
Most of the attacks took place in Sedosan and Ghalang areas and security forces killed eight insurgents and injured four others during 48 hours of their operation, he said, adding an Afghan Local Police personnel was injured in the operation.
The attacks in Mianshin north of Kandahar City follow clashes between security forces and insurgents in a nearby Khas Uruzgan district of neighbouring central Uruzgan province.
Elsewhere in Kandahar province, three militants were killed during a clash with police in Seyah Sang area of Khakrez district. The clash broke out after a group of insurgents attacked a police post in the area.
Khpalwak said the police escaped unhurt in the clash and one Kalashnikov with five magazines were recovered from the dead.
Security forces have also launched an operation in Tehsildar area of Shah Walikot district, killing three militants and seizing some weapons.
Dozens of landmines were recovered during police patrols in various districts and were defused, according to Khpalwak.
The Taliban have not commented on these incidents.
In eastern Laghman province, gunmen attacked the house of a local police commander in the provincial capital, Mehtarlam, on Friday night, injuring his wife and a son, the governor’s spokesman said.
Sarhadi Zwak told Pajhwok Afghan News the local police commander survived the attack and three assailants were killed in retaliatory fire.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.