Baghlan-i-Markazi district cleared of rebels
PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): The Baghlan-i-Markazi district in northern Baghlan province has been cleared of insurgents after massive clearing operations that lasted weeks, an official said on Sunday.
Maj. Gen. Assadullah Sherzad who had visited the district along with a special unit from the Ministry of Interior told Pajhwok Afghan News the last hideouts of insurgents in Larkhabi and Mugholha localities had been purged of insurgents.
He said more than 72 villages had been cleared with killing more than 75 militants and injuring of 55 more in the operations. Sherzad said only one public order police had been killed and a local police injured.
Zabihullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesperson, said they had pushed back two offensives by Afghan security forces killing three soldiers.
Gen. Sherzad, however, said two civilians were killed after a mortar was fired by insurgents.
Last week, residents had said at least 10 civilians had been killed and 28 more wounded during the Taliban and security forces clashes. Hundreds of residents they claimed had been displaced.
Asadullah Shahbaz, provincial council member, said Taliban did not have the ability to face security forces. He added the district was safe now. “If the government does not want Taliban to return then there should be coordination among security forces in Baghlan, Samangan and Kunduz provinces that is bordered with Baghlan-i-Markazi district.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.