‘Policemen under Taliban siege arrive in safe area’
TARINKOT (Pajhwok): At least 37 policemen who deserted their check posts after Taliban’s siege in central Uruzgan province, have now reached to safe areas, the Khas Uruzgan district chief said on Friday.
Abdul Karim Karim told Pajhwok Afghan News he contacted the policemen who arrived in Sultan Mohammad Naway from Qadam Shahli Naway area unhurt along with their weapons.
Earlier, reports said that 40 policemen were either abducted by militants or fled due to shortage of weapons.
Afghan security forces and Taliban had been fighting in Khas Uruzgan district for the last 16 days and police force in Qadam Shahli Naway could not be provided with food items and other reinforcements, he added.
Police were forced to shift to a safer area to escape the Taliban’s siege, he added. “The policemen were under militants’ siege but they arrived in Sultan Mohammad Naway after travelling on foot the whole night,” he added.
He said authorities concerned were asked repeatedly for reinforcements but no action was taken to back the trapped police force.
The fight has arrived in the district’s bazaar, he warned, adding the district would face increased threat if fresh reinforcements could not be provided. He said action should be taken to reopen the Tarinkot- Khas Uruzgan road to facilitate reinforcements to the security forces otherwise they were still under insurgents’ siege.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.