3 Balkh districts cleared of militants: official
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Three districts of northern Balkh province were cleared of militants during an operation, an official said on Sunday.
Supervised by acting governor Atta Mohammad Noor, the operation was conducted from Saturday morning until late night in Khishindeh, Zari and Sholgar districts, the governor’s spokesman told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Munir Farhad added the offensive involved personnel from the Afghan National Army, police and the intelligence department.
He said the militants had been hiding in remote parts of the three districts and fled during the operation.
“It had been decided that operation will be conducted in every district, but the militants fled and the operation lasted one day.”
He said the acting governor had told security officers during his meetings with them to chase militants hiding in mountains and plain areas and eliminate them.
Atta Mohammad Noor had asked security forces to keep their morale high while fighting the enemy and protect the people’s honour and safety with full might, according to Farhad.
During his visit to the three districts, the governor met with tribal elders and residents and listened to their problems and promised to resolve their problems as soon as possible, the spokesman said.
Farhad said the acting governor also laid the foundation stones of two health clinics in the Khishindeh district and inspected a newly-constructed building for the hospital in Sholgar district.
The hospital building has been constructed at a cost of $2 million, the spokesman said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.