9 NGO workers killed in Balkh attack
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): At least nine employees of a non-governmental organisation (NGO) were killed in insurgents’ attack in the Zare district of northern Balkh province, an official said on Tuesday.
Munir Farhad, provincial governor spokesperson, told Pajhwok Afghan News the incident took place around 2:00am midnight in the district.
He added the armed men forced their way inside the offices of 'People In Need' NGO-- working in agriculture sector.
According to Farhad two guards of the NGO and seven employees have been killed in the attack.
A woman is also included among the dead, he added.
Basit Aini, rural rehabilitation and development director in Balkh, confirmed the incident, saying a delegation has been sent to the district to shift the bodies.
No group has claimed responsibility so far.
Earlier, acting governor had visited Zare, announcing the district had been cleared of insurgents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.