Woman among 6 civilians killed in Uruzgan blast
TARINKOT (Pajhwok): Six civilians, including a woman, were killed on Saturday when the vehicle they were travelling in struck a landmine in the Dehrawud district of central Uruzgan province, an official said.
A spokesman for the acting provincial governor, Dost Mohammad Nayab, told Pajhwok Afghan News another two persons, including a child, were injured in the blast.
The civilians were travelling from Tarinkot, the provincial capital, to the Dehrawud town when came under attack in the Zartanai area at about 12:15pm.
With no Taliban spokesman immediately available for comments, the gubernatorial spokesman accused the rebel movement of planting the improvised explosive device. He said an investigation into the incident had been opened.
The blast comes amid increasing civilian casualties in the conflict. The Taliban, who have been waging a war against the government since ousted from power in 2001, have recently intensified their attacks as part of their spring offensive “Azm.”
A day earlier, officials said 34 militants were killed when a US drone struck the burial ceremony for a slain Taliban commander in southeastern Khost province, but locals said the dead included 15 civilians.
A UN report says 1900 civilians were killed and 3500 were injured during the first six months of the year, showing a 16 percent increase.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.