Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Illegal gunmen loot aid convoy in Faryab

Illegal gunmen loot aid convoy in Faryab

Jun 09, 2015 - 17:01

MAIMANA/FEROZKOH (Pajhwok): Gunmen briefly seized a convoy of four trucks carrying relief goods for flood-affected families in northwestern Faryab province, looting two trucks, officials said on Tuesday.

In their report members of a delegation tasked with distributing the aid in Faryab, said the trucks were intercepted in the Pashtuninfo-icon Kot district on Monday.

The report said gunmen briefly held hostage a joint delegation of Worldinfo-icon Food Program (WFP), International Organization of Migrationinfo-icon (IOM) and Norwegian Refugees Council (NRC) organizations.

The gunmen released the delegation after a few hours, said the report, adding that two police rangers were accompanying the convoy.

The food items were being carried for 260 families in Aqdara, Taht Zghan and Sar Hawz areas of the Pashtun Kot district.

Each package contained 150 kilograms of flour, 70 kilograms of pea, 10 kilograms of ghee, salt, kitchen utensils and clothing.

The acting governor of Faryab, Abdul Sattar Barez, confirmed the report and said that a commission would be constituted to identify the looters, take them to justice and wrest back the items.

Provincial Natural Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) director Abdul Wahab said local illegal commanders had previously taken away food items enough for 50 families from trucks on the pretext to distribute them to affected families in their areas.

“We have requested local elders to convince the illegal armed men to bring back the items,” he said.

At least seven people died and nearly one thousand families were affected by spring floods this year in the Pashtun Kot district.

Elsewhere, 500 war-affected and poor families received aid from the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD) in western Ghorinfo-icon province on Tuesday.

Provincial MRRD director Eng. Taj Mohammad Zalal said each family received two plastic carpets, four children’s jackets, a set of cooking dishes, one tent, socks, shoes and gloves.

He said his department was trying to provide more aid to the affected families through the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).

An affected man Sayed Ahmad said: “These families were displaced by clashes between illegal commanders in Chahar Sada, Dolina and Dawlatyar districts to Firozkoh. We can’t buy daily-use items.”

He said the MRRD aid would meet some of their needs but the process should continue.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update