5 female civilians killed in Helmand blast
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Three women and two girls were killed and eight others, mostly females, were wounded when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb in southern Helmand province, officials said on Friday.
The homemade bomb ripped through a vehicle carrying women and children as part of a wedding procession in the Marja district late on Thursday, the governor’s spokesman said.
Omar Zwak added those killed and wounded were mostly women and children. The dead included three women and two girls and another five women and two girls and the driver were among the injured, he said.
The victims were heading to the Sesan area when the blast took place.
Helmand police chief Brig Gen Nabijan Mulakhel confirmed the incident and said several people had been killed and wounded in the blast, but gave no figures.
The blast took place about 35 kilometers from Lashkargah, the provincial capital, in a Taliban-controlled area, the police chief said.
Public health officials said two dead bodies and 11 wounded persons had been delivered to the provincial civil hospital.
No group has accepted the responsibility for the incident so far.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.